Sunday, August 21, 2005

Uncompahgre Peak

Climbed Uncompahgre peak (14309', Hinsdale county highpoint, 6th highest in CO) with Kurt from the Nellie Creek trailhead. Took us 1:30 up at a brisk but not brutal pace; 2:30 down with a number of breaks for views, etc. Lots of driving: approx 2 hours from Silverton to the bottom of the Nellie Creek road, over Engineer pass, then 4 more miles of 4x4 driving to the trailhead. I got more than my fill of 4x4 between that and the pass.

This is probably the physically easiest of the five 14er routes I've done, but definitely the most difficult vehicle access. It would be much easier from the Lake City side, but that's an even longer drive from Durango.

We bivied at the trailhead under clear skies with lots of dew and frost. My WM Ultralite bag was great; my Integral Designs bag cover had a lot of condensation on the inside, but still kept the sleeping bag reasonably dry.

No comments: